This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Munshower 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     James RN

I recently came into work to with a patient receiving blood they were also on an octreotide and protonix drip. The patient had limited IV access to 1 arm only and was getting blood and octreotide in one line and the protonix in the other. Does any one routinely infuse drugs with blood in such situations? I am fairly certain that only NS or LR is ok to secondary with blood and nothing else. The nurse I received report from said it was fine when I asked about it.

#652 Reply
     Robert Munshower 

Good morning James, to answer your question.

“Does any one routinely infuse drugs with blood in such situations? ”

The answer is NO. You should never infuse medications of any kind with PRBCs.
    If it comes down to this you should be seeking additional access of some kind, or you may need to hold an infusion of the medication until the blood product is finished if appropriate.

In regards to your statement,
    “I am fairly certain that only NS or LR is ok to secondary with blood and nothing else.”
    Really only normal saline should run as the primary to PRBCs LR is not recommend, though I did recently see a study found on the NIH website that stated rapidly infused blood with LR showed no measurable effects on the transfused blood.

Long story short you were right to question this, you should always follow your facilities guidelines for procedures which I am fairly sure state that your blood should only be run with NS as the primary fluid with the blood set up as secondary.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Running Blood with IV medications.
Your information:

©2017 nursemingle.com

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account